Are you ready to sign up for flight school with us at High Tide Aviation?! If you’re excited to get started, there are a few things you’ll want to do to prepare yourself prior to beginning your studies.
- Learn the ICAO Phonetic Alphabet- The ICAO (International Civilian Aviation Organization) Phonetic Alphabet, also known as the NATO Alphabet, was created by several international agencies to provide a way to communicate over radio and telephone despite language barriers or quality of connection. When you are in flight school, you’ll need to know this alphabet in order to communicate effectively.
- Get a Medical Certificate for Flying- In order to be approved to fly, you’ll want to get your medical certificate that clears you to go up in the air. Medical certificates are usually good for five years but have varying degrees of testing depending on whether you are planning to fly professionally or recreationally.
- Learn the Language of the Air- One of the things that will be most important as you attend flight school is learning important phrases and keywords. Listening to live ATC (air traffic controllers) at nearby airports will help you begin to get an idea of how to communicate while you are flying.
- Lesson Ride-Along- Another great way to prepare for flight school is to ask instructors if you can simply ride along for one or more of their lessons with current students. This will get you some time in the air before you actually take control of an aircraft.
- Contact Us- Don’t wait to get started if you want to learn how to fly. Request flight training information from us today!